Saturday, June 26, 2010

What's the world coming to...

I just had two experiences that intersected to create an eliquent double take and a very profound 'Huh?!'
First we went to the library to pick up some books. I wanted something YA to improve my knoledge of the genre. So I looked, gagged, and looked somemore. I think for every "That might be ok" book there were atleast two "You've got to be kidding me, THIS got published?!?!" smutty books. I'm talking badly written and bad premise. You could just feel the Yuck coming off the shelves.
Second, I came home and read an article that said basicly, 'With the onslot of self published book the average Joe might not be ready for the slush pile.'
My 'Huh?'... you ready?
If the stuff that makes it through the publishing desks are that bad, either they are VERY right! And I don't want anything to do with the slush pile!
OR
Bring on the slush, I must think COMPLETLY differnt than an editor.

So here's the question of the day.
Have you read YA lately?
If so, would you call it quality stuff?
If you have some favorites, PLEASE share!

1 comment:

  1. I am so mad at you - WHY did you not tell me you started this??? Stinker!

    I LOVE the name & premise behind the blog. You are so clever.

    There is good stuff out there too. You have to sort through the trash to find it, but it IS there. Use the library. A LOT.

    And do what I did - go to the bookstore (have hubby take the kids to go get ice cream) and sit down with a few in a comfy seat (Barnes & Noble, Hastings and Borders all have them) and start reading through just the first two chapters - you know, like we do in WIFYR. See what grabs you.

    Hey if it works for editors, let it work for you!

    ReplyDelete